This is an ever expanding list. Check back whenever you need a resource and feel free to suggest resources and professional practitioners with sparkling personalities to me here.
Licensed Professional Counselors
- Connie Doland, LPC, (512) 796-1961
Connie is my GO-TO recommendation for EMDR & talk therapy. If you like me, you’ll probably like Connie. She’s rad.
- Gabby Bernstein – May Cause Miracles
This is a book I encourage everyone to try, especially when recovering from emotional eating or bingeing. This is a 40 day fear detox practice that breaks us open and helps us see what the shiz is going on that keeps causing us to run to food for comfort. If you are struggling to stick to your nutrition plan or keep finding yourself at the bottom of a pound of cake or bag of doritos, this book is for you.
- Cathy Schwanke
Cathy is my go-to “how to do stop this fear/anxiety right now in this moment?” person.
– Faster EFT (emotional freedom technique) practitioner
– Licensed Unity Teacher (basically a masters degree in metaphysics)
Eating Disorder Support
It’s important that you know that I am NOT an eating disorder coach. I have recovered from an eating disorder but do not specialize nor have received any training in eating disorder recovery coaching.
If you are bingeing daily and then purging in any form (spending hours at the gym, vomiting, laxatives, or something else), then you may be beyond the scope of my private practice.
Bulimia is defined as episodic binge eating usually followed by purging such as self-induced vomiting, laxative abuse, excessive exercise, or fasting.
The book I suggest below redefines bulimia as “regular urges to binge on food, which can be followed by an episode of bingeing and purging.”
I’m a certified health coach specializing in inflammation, quitting sugar, and overcoming emotional eating. I am not trained in supporting women to overcome binge urges.
For this, here are the resources I suggest and had great success with in my own healing and which I strongly recommend you explore and experiment with for yourself:
1) Buy the book. It’s cheap, awesome, & life-changing. This one thing really could change everything for you. Best of all, you can get it on Kindle or Audible these days!! You can listen and recover WHILE DRIVING to get groceries! How cool is that?!
2) Consider hiring a coach. The focused, private coaching I did with them worked amazingly well to help me when I was an exercise bulimic (feeling guilt after overeating and then spending 2-4 hours at the gym working it off). You have to experiment to find what works best for you.
That said, I didn’t eradicate bulimia fully until I added mindfulness (slow, undistracted eating) at meals and added a daily fear detox.
If you are struggling with intense urges to binge, I suggest experimenting with a combination of the following over 12-24 months:
- hiring a qualified professional counselor (LPC) – like Connie who I listed above,
- getting coaching with BulimiaHelp.org,
- doing May Cause Miracles 40 day fear detox (see above),
- learning Emotional Freedom Technique (tapping), journaling, breathing, meditation, and other immediate stress reduction techniques,
- and practicing mindful, undistracted eating at every meal.
- I’d also recommend checking out Geneen Roth’s work. Her books help!
You can and WILL be free from food. Keep practicing an NEVER GIVE UP.